You have opinions about day school affordability. Theories, ideas, firmly held preconceptions—they are in your brain, just bouncing around. I myself am currently holding three or four impossible perspectives in my head, and it’s not even breakfast. The Affordability Knowledge Center is not just about me giving you information; it’s also about you sharing your beliefs and experiences with the field.
As a way to kick off this new year, I asked some of our most insightful Jewish thinkers to give a brief insight into how they’re looking at affordability, either specifically for day schools, or more broadly for the Jewish community. Some chose specific strategies that can help schools move forward; others simply broached important questions that can lead you to finding your own solutions.
After reading these short blurbs, feel free to add your own—that’s really the only way we’re going to learn from each other.
- Patrick Bassett, President, NAIS
- Dr. Harry Bloom, Director of Planning and Performance Improvement, The Institute for University-School Partnership, Yeshiva University
- Lisa Colton, Founder and President, Darim Online
- Gershon Distenfeld, Board Chair, Yeshivat He’Atid
- Jeremy Fingerman, CEO, Foundation for Jewish Camp
- Dr. Marc Kramer, Executive Director, RAVSAK: The Jewish Community Day School Network
- Dr. Yehuda Kurtzer, President, Shalom Hartman Institute of North America
- Sacha Litman, Managing Director and Founder, Measuring Success
- Rabbi Asher Lopatin, Rabbi, Anshe Sholom B’nai Israel Congregation, Chicago, IL
- Dan Perla, Program Officer, Day School Finance, AVI CHAI Foundation
- Dr. Bruce Powell, Head of School, New Jewish Community High School
- Rabbi Jim Rogozen, Chief Learning Officer, The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism
- Dr. Amy Sales, Project Director, JData
- Dr. Len Saxe, Klutznick Professor of Contemporary Jewish Studies and Social Policy Director, Steinhardt Social Research Institute and Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies Brandeis University
- Rabbi Shmuly Yanklowitz, Founder and President, Uri L’Tzedek